Recent WNBA games have been targeted by anti-trans activists after coaches and players spoke out in support of trans inclusion, with trans rights supporters turning out in force at Wednesday night’s Valkyries game.

As the site HITC reports, a group calling itself Save Women’s Sports gathered outside Chase Center wearing XX-XY shirts before Wednesday night’s game. According to Bay Area Reporter, the rally was prompted by recent incidents in which fans wearing the XX-XY shirts were confronted by security at WNBA games, with protesters calling on the WNBA, its teams, and arena operators to protect fans’ right to wear the apparel.

The anti-trans protesters were reportedly quickly outnumbered by trans rights supporters, including members of Rainbow Families Action, who turned out in force ahead of the game. The BAR reports that the group handed out about 1,000 posters thanking Valkyries coach Natalie Nakase and player Gabby Williams, both of whom have publicly supported trans inclusion.

The protest came amid a summer of demonstrations and controversy surrounding Indiana Fever guard Sophie Cunningham’s comments about trans athletes, despite the WNBA never even having a trans player. 

"I got a lot of negative feedback about me hating trans. And I'm like, 'I never once said that,'" Cunningham told ESPN last month. "I think that I am here to extend love. But I also think with that love is truth, being honest. And I want to protect young girls in a locker room, or young girls in sport who shouldn't have to go against biological men."

XX-XY Athletics, the brand behind the shirts, has organized rallies at several Fever games, while other groups have demonstrated in support of trans athletes and the broader trans community, per the BAR.

Rainbow Families Coalition

At a Fever game against the Atlanta Dream on August 17, two fans were asked by security to cover their XX-XY shirts. The Dream later said WNBA security was responsible, while the WNBA called the decision “out of line.” A similar incident occurred at a Seattle Storm game last month, when minority owner Celeste Keaton confronted two fans wearing the shirts. Keaton was later fined and suspended for five home games, as the BAR reports.

The league issued a statement August 7 condemning transphobia, and after a meeting with team representatives and others on August 12, a WNBA spokesperson said there were “no immediate eligibility matters affecting the WNBA.”

Nakase said earlier this month that she believes women and girls should be able to play, “and that includes trans women.”

“I’ve been in those ‘you shouldn’t belong here’ [discussions] many times,” said Nakase during a news conference, per the Los Angeles Times. “And for me, I don’t want that space, especially Golden State, to ever feel like that. So I’m all about women, little girls deserving to play, and that includes trans women. So I’m all about inclusivity.”

Williams told reporters during a recent press conference she would welcome a trans player.

“I would welcome a trans athlete on my team or against my team, anytime,” said Williams, according to Them. “I don’t think it’s a problem in the world. It’s just a way to attack trans people.”

The BAR reports that after Wednesday’s game, Nakase addressed the protest while discussing the team’s 77-66 loss to Minnesota.

“In the world and sports right now there is just too much hate, too much hate speech. I would highly suggest that people continue to lead with love,” she said.

Related: WNBA All-Star Game to Come to San Francisco In 2027