After the Gilroy Police Department took credit for downing the 19-year-old gunman in last Sunday's shooting at the Gilroy Garlic Festival, the coroner has now contradicted that version of events.
The Santa Clara County Coroner and the Gilroy PD were set to give a press conference at 4 p.m. Friday, but KPIX says it has confirmed with the coroner that Santino Legan in fact took his own life within a minute of firing all those shots last Sunday, and killing three young people.
The Associated Press reports that Nicole Lopez, a senior office specialist in the Santa Clara County Medical Examiner-Coroner’s Office, told them that Legan's wound was definitely self-inflicted.
It's the latest twist in this sad story, and the latest parallel with the 2017 Las Vegas shooting.
According to the account given by the Gilroy PD on Sunday, three officers who were at the festival responded within a minute and fatally shot Legan. But without giving any further details yet, the coroner says that was not the case.
As the Mercury News reports, just yesterday the police department was hailing as heroes the three officers, who were identified as Eric Cryar, Hugo Del Moral and Robert Basuino.
Previously: FBI Finds More ‘Extremist Materials’ As Police Search For Motive In Gilroy Garlic Festival Shooting