The three young people who have admitted to participating in the October 2015 killings of a Canadian backpacker and a Marin man appeared in court in Marin County Tuesday to receive their sentences as part of separate plea bargains that were reached last May and this past February. As the Chronicle reports, the triggerman in both murders was 24-year-old Morrison Haze Lampley, and he was expected to receive a sentence of 100 years to life in prison, while his girlfriend, 19-year-old Lila Scott Alligood, was expected to receive a sentence of 50 years to life with the possibility of parole in 25 years.

The details of the plea bargain were endorsed by the victims' families.

Lampley and Alligood both pleaded guilty in February to the aggravated murders of 23-year-old Audrey Carey in Golden Gate Park, and 67-year-old tantric yoga instructor Steven Carter in a meth-fueled spree that was described in court testimony over the last year. Carey was apparently killed for her money, while Carter was killed for his car while he was walking a dog on a Marin County hiking trail.

After traveling from San Diego, the duo was joined by 25-year-old Sean Michael Angold who had met them in the Haight and sold them methamphetamine, and joined them on their spree, which led them to Portland, Oregon in the stolen vehicle, which authorities tracked via its GPS.

In one gruesome detail, as the Chronicle recalls, Carter and his dog were both shot by Lampley, and "The trio then rifled through Carter’s pockets for his keys and wallet, which had been pierced by a bullet, and used the ripped, bloody cash to buy gas and cigarettes in Point Reyes, according to court testimony."

Angold turned state's witness last year, and in exchange for his testimony was expected to get a sentence of 15 years to life.

Carter's widow, Lokita Carter, has written extensively on her blog about her grief, and she was expected to testify at the sentencing. She had advocated for Lampley also to receive a charge of animal cruelty because the couple's dog, a Doberman pinscher named Coco, was allegedly shot in the right eye but survived the wound, and was found standing by Carter's side alive but bleeding profusely when first responders arrived. You can read the wrenching details of Coco's survival here.

Carter writes, "A few days after she was released from the hospital back in late December 2015, I took her to the place where they were shot. I was afraid what her reaction might be. She just sniffed around, looked at the image of Steve and the flowers there, and moved on."

Previously: Murderous Drifters Plead Guilty To Golden Gate Park, Marin Killings