Well, here's nightmare fodder for pretty much ever. Sacramento State senior Luis Ortiz just thought he had an awful headache, but when he sought medical attention, he learned that things were much, much worse. Wormy worse.
According to CBS5, the Napa man was rushed to the hospital after the pain in his head worsened. Once he was there, doctors made a gruesome discovery: Ortiz had a tapeworm in his head. It laid eggs. And those eggs caused a cyst that was preventing blood from circulating, which doctors say means he would have died in the next 30 minutes without medical attention.
OK, brace for this one. According to Ortiz, “The doctor pulled [the worm] out and he said it was still wiggling, and I’m like ‘ugh, that doesn’t sound too good.’ Like, what are the odds I’d get a parasite in my head?”
Oh, god. But, surely, Ortiz must have done something risky to get a brain worm, right? Surely that can't happen to us? Uh, no.
“They told me it was uncooked pork or if I went swimming in the river or if I’ve been to a third world country and I was like, ‘I haven’t done any of that recently.’ But I don’t know how long that worm was in my head for,” he told CBS5. THAT IS NOT THE ANSWER I WANT TO HEAR, LUIS.
All's well that ends well, though! Ortiz is recovering from his brain worm adventure, and says he's ready to finish school and live out the rest of his life! A life free of future brain worms, one hopes
You can watch the full report on his ordeal below...if you dare.