Sacramento police revealed more about their ongoing investigation into the shooting Sunday morning that claimed six lives and injured a dozen others, and they say they now believe at least five gunmen were involved in a gang-related confrontation. And it's become increasingly clear that this shouldn't be referred to as a mass shooting so much as a gunfight.
We know of three arrests so far, with two brothers implicated who both have significant histories of violent crime, and one man who has been released on bail on a weapons charge whose gun was not believed to be involved in the shooting. But on Wednesday, Sacramento police issued a release saying, "Evidence in the case indicates that at least five shooters fired guns during the shooting, and that an exchange of gunfire took place between at least two groups of men."
Police said that there could have been more than five guns fired, but that is the working theory as of now. And they said it's clear "that gang violence is at the center of this tragedy."
Video posted to Twitter the morning of the shooting showed a fight — or several fights — occurring on the street between multiple individuals. Sacramento police continue to sort through over 100 videos that have been submitted by witnesses, and they have requested more if they exist.
BREAKING: New video from the shooting in downtown Sacramento, California appears to capture fully automatic gunfire. Up to 6 fatalities reported at this time. pic.twitter.com/a25QBz8ScL— Mercado Media (@MMPLLCNews) April 3, 2022
MASS SHOOTING IN #SACRAMENTO— Madison Wade (@madisoncwade) April 3, 2022
6 people dead. 12 people wounded.
“Bullets don’t have a name on them,” said the man behind this video. He ran for his life after gunfire erupted following this fight.
His friend was shot but will be okay.
📷: @swaggyp7600 pic.twitter.com/B7i6RC5H0L
We are aware of a social media video that appears to show an altercation that preceded the shooting. We encourage any community members with related video to follow the link/QR code below to submit the video to SPD. https://t.co/bQBuBtDM8m pic.twitter.com/pPdrHVkKuX— Sacramento Police (@SacPolice) April 3, 2022
“This tragedy downtown is a very public example of what families in many of our neighborhoods know too well,” said Sacramento Police Chief Kathy Lester in a statement. “The suffering inflicted by gang violence does not limit itself to gang members. It spills over to claim and shatter innocent lives and harm our entire community.”
The one man currently in police custody, without bail, on gun charges is 26-year-old Dandrae Martin. On Tuesday, ABC 10 reported that Martin is believed to be one of the five shooters. Martin's brother, 27-year-old Smiley Martin, remains hospitalized from wounds he received in the gunfight, and police say he will jailed as soon as he is well enough, and booked on charges of being a felon with a firearm, and possession of a machine gun, pending other charges.
A third suspect, 31-year-old Daviyonne Dawson, has been booked and released on bail. He was charged Tuesday with being a felon in possession of a firearm.
Police have not revealed any information about gang affiliations that are suspected to be involved in the incident.
Sacramento police are encouraging any witnesses with information regarding the investigation to contact the dispatch center at (916) 808-5471 or Sacramento Valley Crime Stoppers at (916) 443-HELP (4357). Callers can remain anonymous and may be eligible for a reward up to $1,000. Anonymous tips can also be submitted using the free “P3 Tips” smartphone app.
Photo: JD Weiher