The 43-year-old woman accused of shooting and killing an 18-year-old student at Balboa High School cohabited with the youth prior to the slaying, her attorney says.
As previously reported, 43-year-old Silvia Lorena Montoya was arrested last week for the May 31 shooting death of 18-year-old Jonathan Caballero.
Caballero was found suffering from a gunshot wound on a walking trail in McLaren Park at 6:45 a.m. on May 31, and died at the scene. After a two-month-long investigation, police arrested Montoya in his death on July 30, Bay City News reports.
At the time of her arrest, the SF Examiner noted that Montoya "was possibly dating" the victim but did not offer further information. A call from SFist to the San Francisco Police Department to confirm that detail never received a response.
An email sent to SFist the day after our initial report, however, claims to offer evidence that the two were indeed involved. An unnamed tipster sent the photo above, saying only that "They were dating look at this picture."
To be fair, not every picture of two folks posing together means they're dating (if so, well, I'll just leave this here), but our tipster isn't the only one saying so.
Montoya appeared in court on Friday to face one count of murder and three counts of dissuading a witness, San Francisco District Attorney’s Office spokesman Alex Bastian says. While in court, the Chron reports, "prosecutors said Montoya and Caballero had dated."
According to "Kwixuan Maloof, a managing attorney in the public defender’s office who is representing Montoya...Caballero had lived with Montoya at some point."
Though no motive for the slaying has been presented at this point, it appears that the prosecution is working to paint a picture of Montoya as a dangerous woman. As the Chron reports, when Maloof requested the names of the three witnesses Montoya is accused of dissuading, "Assistant District Attorney Patrick Mahoney said his office had to ensure the witnesses’ safety before he could identify them to the defense."
Montoya remains in San Francisco County Jail on $10 million bail, and is expected back in court today.