We have a public health warning for those of you who ate at the Stonestown Nordstrom Cafe on April 16, 17, 18, 20, or 27. In a nutshell, you may be at risk of catching typhoid fever.
According to NBC Bay Area:
Health officials said someone who handles food at the Nordstrom Cafe at the Stonestown Galleria contracted the disease and could have spread the disease to customers.
Anyone who ate at that restaurant on April 16, 17, 18, 20, or 27, 2013 may be at risk.
"Persons who are at risk because they dined at the Stonestown Nordstrom Cafe on one of those dates should see a healthcare provider right away if they are feeling unwell, and should tell their physician that they may have been exposed to typhoid fever," said doctor Tomas Aragon.
Caused by the bacterium Salmonella Typhi, typhoid fever is a life-threatening illness. An estimated 5,700 cases occur annually (usually caught from traveling abroad). Typhoid fever can be prevented and can treated with antibiotics. If you dined at the aforementioned Nordstrom Cafe, please contact your doctor at once. According tho SFDPH (via CBS SF), "Symptoms usually begin within 8 to 14 days after exposure, but could potentially appear for up to 30 days."