Today's funeral services for fallen SFFD fire fighters Tony Valerio and Lt. Vincent Perez are expected to draw crowds of up to 5,000 to St. Mary's Cathedral at Geary Boulevard and Gough Street. This morning we've been spotting Fire Engines and Ladder trucks from pretty much every department in the Bay Area making their way up Divisadero for the procession that will stretch a couple miles long as it makes it's way from Cathedral Hill to Colma starting at 3:30 this afternoon. The services and procession will close streets throughout the Western Addition and Lower Pac Heights neighborhoods as well as part of Interstate 280. The complete list of street closures and Muni re-routes:
Traffic Alerts and procession route:
- Interstate 280 Southbound will be closed between San Francisco and Daly City between 3p.m. to 7p.m.
- Geary Boulevard westbound will be closed from Gough to Webster Street
- Eastbound Geary closed from Divisadero to Gough.
- Gough and Webster both closed from Ellis to Geary.
- Procession route follows Gough to Market, then takes Valencia to 15th, where it will follow Dolores to the 280 at San Jose Avenue, following 280 to Holy Cross Cemetery.
Muni Delays and Re-routes:
- Riders on L and N Muni Metro Line as well as the 5, 18, 21, 22, 24, 28, 29, 31, 33, 38, 38L, 43, 44 and 71 bus lines can expect delays from 10:30 a.m. until around Noon
- The 38 and 38L will be re-routed until 5:30 p.m.
- F and J lines and 5, 6, 21, 22, 24, 31, 33, 48, 71 and 71L may also re-route as needed between 3:30 and 5:30 p.m.
- 5, 6, 21, 22, 24, 31, 33, 48 and 71 bus lines split in to two parts. Check MTA's alert page for the easiest ways to get downtown if you're stranded on the outer leg.
As with all things Muni, take the expected end times for delays with a grain of salt.
Finally, if you're riding BART today, the Appeal notes that the last car of every train will be reserved for personel heading to St. Mary's.