Mayor Gavin Newsom says that one of his "top priorities is to ensure that every San Franciscan has a safe and happy New Year. Riding Muni is a smart and green way to ring in the new year." (Thanks, Gavin!) And with a firm flick of his wrist, this New Year's Eve, starting at 8 p.m., Muni will be free all night, which is about what it's worth. The free rides come to a screeching halt at 6 a.m., Tuesday, January 1.
Plus, they will have added service:
- Special Metro service from 7 p.m. to about 4 a.m., between the Caltrain depot at 4th & King Streets and West Portal Station
- Extra service on Muni Owl bus routes (1 a.m. - 5 a.m. service): 5 Fulton, 14 Mission, 22 Fillmore, 24 Divisadero, 38 Geary, 90 Owl, 91 Owl, and L and N Metro Owl motor coach service
- F Line Market & Wharves service provided by motor coaches beginning in the late afternoon, and rerouted between 3rd & Market and Fisherman's Wharf from about 7:30 p.m. to end of service
And, if necessary, a few pesky reroutes:
- Lower Market and Mission between 4th Street and The Embarcadero beginning at about 10 p.m.
- In the Castro area on the 24 Divisadero and 35 Eureka bus routes
- In North Beach on the 9X San Bruno Express route
- On Union Street on the 45 Union-Stockton route
- From Market Street and to the Embarcadero on the F-Line
If the mood should strike, read the SFMTA NYE press release in all of its glory after the jump.