Investigators have reportedly not made any significant advances in the investigation of the quintuple homicide at a Halloween party at an Orinda Airbnb, and it may be because multiple witnesses fear retaliation from the assailants and don't want to name names. It's also not clear if some of the victims were shooters themselves.
Nearly four months after the October 31 shooting at 114 Lucille Way in Orinda, the trail seems to be going cold for the 30 detectives from various agencies who are all still working the case. As the Chronicle reports, after arresting and releasing five men in connection with the shooting — which also injured five others — investigators have yet to come up with evidence to justify charges against anyone other suspects — and those initial five were released for lack of sufficient evidence. Subsequently, two more men were arrested in late November, on gun charges, by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF).
Those two men, Domico Michael Dones of Martinez and Frederick Johnson of Vallejo, both 29, had prior criminal convictions and were charged with illegally possessing weapons. Also, per the Chron, both men had connections to San Francisco.
Investigators have said it has been hard securing witness testimony that witnesses would be willing to give in court — despite the estimated 200 people who were at the party when shots erupted in and around the kitchen.
Federal investigators previously offered a $20,000 reward for information leading to a murder conviction in this case, and that has yet to be claimed.
Anyone with information is asked to call 888-ATF-TIPS (888-283-8477) or visit www.reportit.com.
Thus, authorities are reaching out to the public again, to help locate more witnesses. "This case remains a high priority, says Melissa Klawuhn, the head of investigations for the Contra Costa County Sheriff’s Office, speaking to the Chronicle. "We really need help from the public."
Photo via Instagram