In a new court filing with the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Department of Justice says that President Trump will be reissuing an executive order on immigration. Reuters reports, "Given the upcoming executive order, the Justice Department said a federal appeals court should not reconsider a ruling that suspended Trump's Jan. 27 order."
The DOJ said, "In so doing, the President will clear the way for immediately protecting the country rather than pursuing further, potentially time-consuming litigation." According to Reuters, Trump said today, "The new order is going to be very much tailored to what I consider to be a very bad decision. We can tailor the order to that decision and get just about everything, in some ways more."
New: DOJ tells Ninth Circuit the Trump administration will rescind travel ban order and issue a revised one pic.twitter.com/Albht3hPCx— Matt Ford (@fordm) February 16, 2017
Last week, the appellate court rejected the Trump administration's request to stay a restraining order on the immigration ban, which prohibits immigrants from seven Muslim-majority nations, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.
The restraining order, written by federal Judge James Robart, said, "The Executive Order adversely affects the States’ residents in areas of employment, education, business, family relations and freedom to travel. In addition, the States themselves are harmed by virtue of the damage that implementation of the Executive Order has inflicted upon the operations and missions of their public universities and other institutions of higher learning These harms are significant and ongoing."