Activists hold signs in front of tech shuttle buses that read "Save Our Homes" in protest of high rents in SF. pic.twitter.com/QflNcewYM8— NBC Bay Area (@nbcbayarea) February 9, 2016
A full year after the Chronicle declared the anti-tech shuttle protest dead, a tech shuttle protest blockaded the intersection of 24th and Valencia this morning, snarling traffic for a good 40 minutes as CBS 5 reports. Activists carried a large banner that said "Save Our Homes," and the impetus for the Tuesday morning protest was a tentative agreement reached Monday, per the Chronicle, between three supervisors and four tech companies allowing the shuttle program to continue as-is for another year with possible changes down the line.
Involved in the negotiations were two progressive supervisors, David Campos and Norman Yee, and moderate Board president London Breed, and the deal caps the number of allowed shuttle stops at the current 125, and says that if the number of buses increases by 50 percent it will trigger a mandatory air quality assessment. Also, the Board's budget and legislative analyst will be doing an impact study on neighborhood displacement that's been caused in part by the shuttles.
Also at the table were reps from the Service Employees International Union and the Sierra Club, who both challenged the deal, and reps from Facebook, Google, Genentech, and Apple.
The agreement is meant to forestall calls for a full environmental impact review of the shuttle program, which a majority of supervisors wants to avoid, while still being able to overhaul the program in the coming years.
Today's protest, of course, harkens back to the "Google bus" protest heyday of 2013 and early 2014, which has largely quieted down despite a protest similar to the one today that occurred last May Day.
Previously: Do More Tech Shuttle Stops Lead Directly To Higher Rents And More Evictions?