The $1.5 billion Powerball drawing is at 7:59 p.m. PT tonight, and you are unreasonably confident that you are going to win. (NOTE: You are not going to win.) But do you have your tickets yet? If not, we’ve curated this list of the statistically luckiest liquor stores in San Francisco and the greater Bay Area, i.e. stores whose premises have sold million-dollar and above winning lottery tickets on multiple occasions since the enactment of the California State Lottery Act of 1984.
The Luckiest Lottery Liquor Store in the Bay Area
The cash register at Kavanagh Liquors in San Lorenzo has sold five — count ‘em — five jackpot-winning lottery tickets since 1998, including a $28.5 million winning ticket in 2003. (That jackpot went unclaimed, but it still counts.) Look at line around that place! That line was for Saturday’s jackpot of a mere $900 million, today’s line may be even longer. If you want to buy your Powerball ticket there, you need to leave work and head over to this Alameda County liquor store right now.
Luckiest Lottery Liquor Stores in San Francisco
There are two liquor stores in San Francisco that have each issued two winning lottery tickets with substantial large jackpots. 19th Avenue Liquors in the Inner Sunset has sold two winning lottery tickets with combined jackpots of more than $20 million. Miraloma Market in West Portal sold a $22 million winning ticket in 1997 and a $15 million winning ticket in 1990, plus a $271,000 winning ticket in 1992.
Luckiest Lottery Liquor Stores in the Greater Bay Area
Image: Simon F. via Yelp
Eleven other liquor stores in the Bay Area have each on two separate occasions sold winning lottery tickets for jackpots of more than a million dollars. These lucky stores and their addresses are listed in bullet-point fashion below.
- Crystal Springs Wine & Spirits, 740 Polhemus Rd., San Mateo, CA
- Delta Pure Water, 41 Sand Creek Rd, Brentwood, CA
- Hana's Bottle Shop, 3149 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA
- JP Liquors, 996 Loraine Ave., Los Altos, CA
- Kwik Stop, 3157 Walnut Ave., Fremont, CA
- Liquor City, 1230 W Hillsdale Blvd., San Mateo, CA
- Lyons Liquor, 4100 Foothill Blvd., Oakland, CA
- Quick Mart, 2480 Skyline Blvd., Pacifica, CA
- 7-Eleven, 1540 Solano Ave. Albany, CA
- 7-Eleven, 2150 S. Fremont Ave., Alhambra, CA
- 7-Eleven, 4270 Senter Rd., San Jose, CA
The deadline to buy tickets for tonight’s Powerball drawing is 7 p.m. PT, with the drawing at 7:59. As they say in Las Vegas before they take your money, “Good luck!”
Image: 0 0 via Yelp