The family of an Oakland man shot and killed by San Francisco Police Department officers Tuesday night expressed anger at SFPD Chief Greg Suhr over what they say has been poor communication from the police department.

As previously reported, 26-year-old Oshaine Evans was shot and killed by SFPD officers after allegedly burglarizing a Mercedes SUV parked in a SoMa alley.

Officers had been in the area as part of a "crime suppression" program intended to protect people and property during Tuesday's SF Giants game. Police say that the vehicle driven by Evans had been "casing" nearby cars, and that they followed it to Jack London Alley (a South Park-adjacent alley near Bryant Street), saw the three men in the car rob the SUV, then approached the suspect vehicle.

Police officers say that in response, Evans pointed a gun at them. According to Suhr, speaking at a community meeting to discuss the shooting Thursday night, the gun was not loaded, reports the Examiner. Apparently unaware of this, the police officer fired seven rounds into the vehicle, striking Evans twice. A 27-year-old San Leandro man, who was seated in the back seat, was also struck once.

According to the San Francisco Medical Examiner's office, Evans was pronounced dead at San Francisco General Hospital at 9:30, about 30 minutes after the confrontation. The passenger remains in stable condition, and has yet to be arrested, Suhr said.

A third man, identified as 25-year-old Oakland man Steven Oliver Moore, had been seated in the passenger seat of the car and was arrested as he attempted to flee. According to the Ex, he "has been charged with homicide, among other charges, because Evans died during the crime."

Suhr says that the unloaded gun, which was apparently reported stolen in New York State, was found at the scene, as well as the items taken from the Mercedes SUV.

Members of Evans' family expressed frustration with SFPD at Thursday's meeting, saying that they had not been informed of the meeting, nor had police contacted them regarding Evans' death.

The Ex reports that Evans' mother "said she was first contacted by the department Thursday night at the meeting and only knew about the meeting because of the media. She has not yet seen her son's body, she said."

"It's almost as if you didn't want us here," Evans' niece said.

Previously: SFPD Officers Shoot Suspected Auto Burglars Outside AT&T Park, Killing One